For those out there who stop by occasionally, I welcome your thoughts on any of this, but here are how things are going for us right now:
1) I've updated one of my niche websites. It still generates $30-$100 of monthly affiliate income, but putting a few hours of work into it already generated 9x the amount of daily clicks. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the upcoming months.
2) I'm reading a ton of books (a sort of "MBA in a box") to get ready for this upcoming transition.
3) I've really been working the network of friends and colleagues over the last few months as I try to explore job opportunities. Here's the good news: I think I can land anywhere from $140K to as high as $400K (this is an obscene amount of money to me, to be honest), depending upon how things ultimately turn out. Most places won't take a serious look at you until you are 90 days out (or so). These jobs are primarily in consulting, talent development, operations, and strategy development. Some involve extensive travel, but still allow us to live where we want to. Others don't.
4) I'm still working through various plans for hanging out my shingle and doing consulting work on my own, plus I have had several people so far offer up 1099 work. Importantly, this allows us to move where we want to, operate out of a home office, and so on. I have really no existing network in the place where we would like to move, so I would be generating local work from scratch, but would have to travel for work that might emerge from those who know me well.
5) I have several articles and even books that I think need to be written.
6) At this point, my heart is in 4) and 5), but doing 3) for a few years would buy me years of future flexibility and autonomy, given the salaries. 4) and 5) might also turn lucrative, but I suspect it will be tougher at first.
7) We've saved up enough for at least a 20% down payment on a home (perhaps more, depending on what we actually spend), but I'd still like to have at least another $10,000 in hand by June.
8) I'm gathering up all of my transition notes and I've been sharing them with friends in similar situations. Perhaps a longer post on this topic here or somewhere else later on is merited.
So, that is where things currently stand. I imagine I'll take a close look by April or May, rack and stack the choices, and then figure out what is next! Thanks for reading. If you have anything to offer, let me know in the comments below-- oh, and click our Amazon.com link if you need to do some shopping. Every little bit helps! Thanks.